Saturday, February 8, 2014

PP: Words of love

Peggy's Pointers
Helping you become more floral Savvy each Sunday!

Words of Love
Every February 14, across the United States and in other places around the world, candy, flowers and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine.
St Valentine's Day began as a liturgical celebration of one or more early Christian saints names Valentinus. The day was first associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. 

In the 18th century England, it evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, confectionery and sending greeting messages (known as valentines).


Modern romantic connotations were added several centurions later by poets. One of the first recorded associations of Valentine's Day with romantic love is  in Parlement of Foules (1382) by Chaucer.
For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make.

["For this was on Saint Valentine's Day, when every bird cometh there to choose his mate."]

This poem was written to honor the first anniversary of the engagement of King Richard II of England to Anne of Bohemia. A treaty providing for a marriage was signed on May 2, 1381. (When they were married eight months later, they were each only 15 years old).

The modern cliché Valentine's Day poem can be found in the collection of English nursery rhymes Gammer Gurton's Garland (1784):

The rose is red, the violet's blue,
The honey's sweet, and so are you.
Thou art my love and I am thine;
I drew thee to my Valentine:
The lot was cast and then I drew,
And Fortune said it shou'd be you

 
Since then, males and females have struggled with finding just the right words to express their feelings for Valentine's Day. Do you need help with the wording?  

            Try adding a few famous lines such as the example below.   
                Or access the link below to write your message using a special “love “font.” 
                     http://www.dafont.com/words-of-love.font

If I had a single flower for every time I think about you,
I could walk forever in my garden
~
                                                                     Claudia Ghandi

I love you not only for what you are,
but for what I am when I am with you.
I love you not only for what you have made of yourself,
but for what you are making of me.
I love you for the part of me that you bring out
.
                                                                               ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Each day I love you more.
Today more than yesterday, and less than tomorrow
.
                                                                    ~Rosemonde Gerard


Other men said they have seen angels,
But I have seen thee, and thou
art enough.
                                                               ~George Moore


This Valentine’s Day...

If you are looking for  guaranteed success:  Send your words with flowers from the Flower Nook to that special someone.

Call The Flower Nook 785-827-6693 or come by 208 E Iron in Salina, Kansas

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment